The dean has the following duties and core activities
- Serve as the chairperson of the AC;
- Carry out all decisions of the AC concerning appointment and promotion, renewal of contracts, admission of students, graduation, and other decisions following the rules and regulations of the university;
- Promote multidisciplinary academic/research programs;
- Propose to the AC the establishment of new programs, and revision of existing programs; dissolution or amalgamation of programs based on periodic need assessment;
- follow-up on the various academic programs to assess whether the recommendation of the AC has been taken into account;
- recommend to the AC schemes for the allocation of the approved budget among the various units of the college and follow-up on the implementation of the AC’s decisions;
- Direct the activities of the departments and other units of the college;
- Supervise all research activities of the college, including seminars and workshops;
- Supervise the formulation of criteria for admission of students to the college and departments;
- Administer and oversee the proper utilization of the physical resources of the college;
- Issue rules and procedures for the proper administration of the college in line with the overall policies and regulations of the university;
- Ensure that the policies, rules, and regulations of the university are readily available to be well known by the staff and students of the college;
- Facilitate recruitment of professionals who can either on a full-time or part-time basis contribute to the research and teaching needs of the college;
- Endeavor to foster good working relationships with the relevant research institute and other units of the university;
- Promote the good image of the college by providing appropriate and full information on the activities of the college;
- Follow up the implementation of schemes and programs that promote academic excellence;
- Plan and implement welfare of both staff and students;
- Follow up the preparation and implementation of the cascaded strategic objectives;
- Submit quarter and annual reports to the AC and presidents on the activities of the college;
- Present annual report and introduce the upcoming annual plan to the college staff;
- Share resources with other college or academic units where necessary;
- Maintain standard support services to create a conducive working environment;
- Follow up the continuous teaching learning core process to maintain educational quality improvements through different methods;
- Ensure that research is carried out for the benefit of a community;
- Prepare fundraising projects;
- Administer the allocated budget to the college;
- Work to establish strong team spirit in the college;
- Carry out any other relevant tasks assigned to him by the academic and research vice president and/or the AC;
The department heads have the following duties and core activities
- Plan, direct and supervise the teaching and research activities of the department;
- Promote the enhancement of the quality and relevance of teaching and research in the department;
- Initiate proposals for deliberations by DC on matters within the jurisdiction of the latter;
- Follow-up and implement the decisions and recommendations of the AC and DC;
- Seek to provide opportunities for educational and professional development of the staff and students of the department;
- Follow-up the processing of appointments, promotions, salary increments and the benefits due to the staff of the department in accordance with the rules and regulations of the university;
- Prepare or cause to be prepared plans, programs and budgets for the activities of the department and closely supervise the implementation of approved plans, programs and budgets;
- Create conducive atmosphere for the expansion of academic and research and community service in the department;
- Prepare up-to-date reports on the teaching, research and community services provided by the department;
- Assign an academic advisor to each student to help him in his education; and advisors and examiners for senior essays or projects; Supervise the proper use of physical and human resources within the department;
- Ensure that academic staff of the department submit periodic report on their teaching and research activities and, in consultation with the DC, takes appropriate actions on issues raised in such reports;
- Keep records of activities of all staff of the department to serve as inputs for evaluations. such records shall, inter alia, include reports on teaching learning processes, students assessments, research work, publications, conference papers and talks, status of works in progress during the academic year, professional public services and participation in University affairs;
- Conduct performance evaluation of each staff at the end of each semester;
- Ensure that students’ evaluations and peer reviews of staff of the department are properly conducted and the necessary reports are submitted to the dean as per procedures on these matters;
- Ensure the keeping of proper academic records of students of the department;
- Delegate his powers to another full-time academic staff of the department where necessary. Carry out other relevant tasks assigned to him by the DC and dean.
The academic staffs have the following duties and core activities
- An academic staff shall be required to be a scholar with full devotion to the advancement of the frontiers of knowledge in accordance with the best traditions developed by great scholarly circles the world over.
- Every academic staff shall carry out his functions in the best interest of the University and that of the country having due regard to his profession.
- Every academic staff shall teach courses in his area of specialization following established University procedures in such a way that the course material may be delivered in an
- Every academic staff shall endeavor to stay abreast of the latest thinking in his area of specialization and shall periodically update his teaching material, within the resources available.
- Every academic staff shall encourage, guide and permit students to freely and rationally
question and examine issues and various lines of thoughts in the course of their study;
- Every academic staff shall inform the course chair or department head or vice dean, or dean well in advance if and when he cannot be available for teaching due to his involvement in a
recognized or relevant fieldwork, seminar, workshop, etc;
- Every academic staff shall conduct classes regularly and never miss classes except for force
majeure reasons which are immediately communicated to the nearest supervisor or head or
dean of his AU;
- Every academic staff shall give make-up classes for all the classes he missed due to his involvement in a field work, seminar, workshop or any other activity recognized by his academic unit. However, such make up classes should not exceed 25% of the course unless approved by AAVP;
- No academic staff shall handover the course that he has been assigned to teach to any other
individual for any length of time without the approval of the course chair;
- Every academic staff shall refrain from any act of discrimination against any individual or group on the basis of race, ethnicity, sex or creed, disability or any other unreasonable ground;
- Every academic staff shall develop relationship of mutual respect and trust with students and
members of his academic units and department;
- Every academic staff may be assigned to various positions of responsibilities.
- Every academic staff member shall have other responsibilities provided under article 32 of the
Higher Education Proclamation.
- Academic staffs who are medical and health professionals shall have also the responsibility to render health services in the university's teaching hospital.
- Every academic staff shall refrain from unlawful acts that adversely affect the teaching
learning as well as other activities of the university.
- A teaching staff member with academic rank of Assistant Professor and above shall publish at least two articles per four academic years and present one seminar/conference at AU, university or national level per academic year. However research staff shall publish at least six articles per four academic years.
- A staff member with academic rank of Lecturer shall publish at least one article per four academic years and shall present at least one seminar at AU or university level per academic
- During the official working hours, an academic staff shall give full energy and attention, to the best of his ability, to the job to which he is assigned unless he is a joint appointee, employee or unless the Academic Vice President, in agreement with the head of the responsible AU, assigns him to perform duties for other institutions.
- No academic staff shall undertake any outside activity, which may tend to impair his
usefulness to the university or conflict with his duties.
- The Office of the Academic Vice President in consultation with academic affairs executive director shall prepare a code of conduct which every academic staff shall be subject to upon approval by the senate.